We recently deployed new functionality to our Zooniverse mobile app (available via iTunes and Google Play for iOS and Android). The list of what’s now available is:
- Swipe (binary question [Yes/No, A/B, etc.] response)
- Multi-answer question (A/B/C/D/etc.)
- Rectangle drawing task (drawing a rectangle around a feature within a subject)
- Multi-image subjects (e.g. uploading 2+ images as a single subject; users swipe up/down to display the different images)
- Subject auto-linking (automatically linking subjects retired from one workflow into another workflow of interest on the same project; note – this is relevant not just for workflows on the app)
- Push notifications (sending messages/alerts about new data, new workflows, etc., via the app)
- Preview (an owner or collaborator on a project in development being able to preview a workflow in the ‘Preview’ section of the mobile app)
- Beta Review (mobile enabled workflows are accessible through the ‘Beta Review’ section of the app for a project in the Beta Review process; includes an in-app feedback form)
Note: we will continue developing the app; this is just the end of Phase 1.
With this functionality in place, we’re reaching out to research teams to encourage them to ‘enable on mobile’ any workflows that use the above functionalities. Our goal is to have at least 6 active projects on the mobile app in June. At that time, we’ll send an e-newsletter to the full community of Zooniverse users encouraging them to download the app and check out the projects. This will be the first promotion of the app to our full community. The feedback we’ve received from the few projects that have used it so far has been great. We’re so excited to do a major push and we really want as many projects as possible to benefit from the attention and engagement.
With that in mind, if you’re leading a Zooniverse project and have any questions about where in the Project Editor ‘workflow’ interface to ‘enable on mobile’, don’t hesitate to email firstname.lastname@example.org. And/or if you’re a volunteer and wonder if workflow(s) on a given project could be enabled on mobile, please post in that project’s Talk to start the conversation with the research team and us. The more, the merrier!
Looking forward to having more projects on the mobile app and launching a major promotional/recruitment push in June!
For more information on the mobile app, see: